Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pure sweetness....pure sadness



Last night I went to bed after Jared and when I walked into the bedroom I found him all snuggled up with another girl!! Yes, that would be our little girl, katie. It was the cutest thing ever and I had to grab my camera and snag a picture! Our little dachshund Katie is the most snuggly dog ever, she sleeps with us in the bed everynight and under the covers too.


Today, my day started out great, I quickly shot this picture of Katie on my way out to work, but my day at work was another hard one. This past week has been so difficult and sad at work. I work in an ICU which in itself is sad, but generally I can handle this sort of stuff pretty well, but last week I had a 21 year old die, and then today my patient was only 18. I can't disclose too many details due to patient confidentiality. It just has been really sad to watch 2 wonderful families go through such an awful time of their lives, and both young men seem like they were really amazing. It is so hard some days to really find the fairness in the world. Life can change from one moment to the next, and these situations are truly proof of that.

11 comments:

Val said...

Sweet photos and hugs to you. I know how it feels to be a part of all that is unfair in life.

Michelle said...

your pup is just adorable. sweet photos of the two of them. so sorry your work has been so hard. ((Hugs)) and prayers for you and the families.

pat said...

Love your little Katie. {{{HUGS}}} to you; being a nurse is a tough profession, especially since the best nurses are also the most compassionate and feel the losses the most.

April said...

those pictures of your dog are adorable. and i'm sorry you had a hard day..that so sad to see such young people pass away!!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

So sorry about your patients really. I will say it again you nurses especially ICU are awesome. I will pray for the families that lost their loved one and for you to continue on. My sons bed was next to a 2 year old shaken baby that died while we were there and in my dreams I can still hear the mother crying.

Becky said...

Sorry work has been hard, but I'm glad those families had someone as sensitive and caring as you during the sad time. And Katie is adorable! I love seeing big men snuggled with little dogs.

Angela2932 said...

Your journaling really moved me today. My coworkers' son's fiance died abruptly, age 25, of a seizure last night. A month ago, my daugther's best friend died suddenly at age 19. And last month another coworkers' cousin's son died abruptly at age 25. This seems an unusual time in our lives, but for you to see this on such a regular basis is just beyond my imagination! Thank you for being there for the families you work with.

Sandra Collins said...

{{{{HUGS}}}}

the photos are great - love that you captured a close bond

♥ Amy said...

What a sweet photo that first one is. Wishing you strength and courage for each day!

Amy said...

Hugs, I really commend all nurses. I can't imagine how you do what you do day in and day out. You must be a very strong person.

What a cute pup! Our Jack Russell does the same thing.

Sharon said...

Katie is adorable!

Bless you for working in the field you do. HUGS!